English Deutsch Italiano
Schrift verkleinern Schriftgröße ändern Schrift vergrößern

Portal Map

Please select

Romanesque heritage

Search for Romanesque sites in your selected region.

Events

Search for events in your selected region.

art readings
exhibitions Others
from: to:

News / Portal / POI
print this page



Monastery Studenica


The construction of the Monastery is associated with the zenith might of Stefan Nemanja. His youngest son, Sava, in his book devoted to the life of his father, wrote on the occasion of the construction of the Monastery:" it used to be as deserted a place as a hunting ground for beasts..." Within the Studenica Monastery compound the most important and best know is the church devoted to the Mother of God Evergetida - Church of our Lady, which is a crypt of Stefan Nemanja. It was built in the period between 1183-1196/7. Byzantine view of the world and Romanesque elements were brought together in a unique manner in this major monument of Nemanja. The exterior is in the Romanesque spirit, while its paintings bear the Byzantine characteristics. The Romanesque elements are decorative façade finishing. The highest levels of the façade are done in characteristic arcade shaped friezes on consoles cut in stone. Monumental portals are characteristic as are the windows richly decorated by sculpture decorations, magnificent wet portal and particularly triforium on the altar apses, which dominates the eastern part of the church thanks to its exquisitely carved plant motive decorum and phantasmagoric creatures, as a winged dragon and basiliscus, with a long snake tale. Sculptural ornament and the form of that triforium served as a model almost literally replicated on the altar triforium of the Church in Dečani.

The Romanesque decoration of St. Marry's church in Studenica represents one of the richest programmatic and stylistic creations in the Serbian Medieval art.
UNESCO placed Studenica on the List of the World Cultural Heritage, in 1986.


Object


Studenica
Serbia
+381 36 836 422
E-mail

Organization:


Studenica
Serbia
+381 36 836 422
E-mail

Tourist Information:



Serbia
+381 36 316 000
E-mail


Highlight UNESCO Monasteries

Opening Hours:

- The Monastery is open to visitors between 9 AM and 5 PM
- Souvenir shop hours from 9 AM to 6 PM
- Parking lot and toilet cabin
- Curator available at the Monastery


Monastery Studenica

Monastery Studenica