English Deutsch Italiano
Schrift verkleinern Schriftgröße ändern Schrift vergrößern

Portal Map

Please select

Romanesque heritage

Search for Romanesque sites in your selected region.

Events

Search for events in your selected region.

art readings
exhibitions Others
from: to:

News / Portal / POI
print this page



Roman-Catholic Cathedral Saint Michael


The construction of the initial Roman-Catholic Cathedral started towards the end of the 11th Century, but today, there are no remains of it.  The present cathedral dates back to the late 12th century, the transept and the first part of the sanctuary of the present cathedral were built in the Romanesque style. During the Mongol invasion of 1241 the church was partially destroyed. In the middle of the 13th century the cathedral was rebuilt on the old foundation in the transitory style between Romanesque and Gothic, one of the most impressive early Renaissance interiors in Transylvania. Inside the cathedral, one can find the sarcophagus of John Hunyadi, beside the ones of his brother, Johannes Miles, his elder son, Ladislas, and those of Queen Isabella and her son, Ioan Sigismund. The site is registered in the National Archaeological Repertory of Romania.


  • loupe

    History

    • Roman-Catholic Cathedral Saint Michael St. Michael Cathedral is the oldest and longest cathedral in Romania (81m). The construction of the cathedral began in 1247.The main sanctuary of the cathedral was built in several stages. At the beginning of the XIII Century the square of the current sanctuary ended through an apse with a semi-circular shape which was demolished at the end of the Century, while the sanctuary was extended in the early Gothic style and decorated with trefoil niche. In the side walls of the cathedral there are 2 Reliefs from the Romanesque period representing the Archangel Michael.
  • loupe

    Architecture and Furniture

    • Roman-Catholic Cathedral Saint Michael The main western gate was built and decorated during the Early Gothic period (after 1270). The collateral southern gate built in the Romanesque style in the 13th Century was the bishop’s Entrance. The Neo-Gothic Organ (2209 pipes) was built by Kolonics Istvan in 1877.

      The sanctuary is decorated with the altar and the canons’ pews ornamented in the Baroque style, while their backrests have biblical scenes representing the history of salvation and the life of the prophets (1783), respectively the Baroque sacristy portal of today (1728). „The Old Sacristy” was formed by enlarging the current cathedral at the beginning of the 13th Century. Along with its raising the circular baptistery of the first cathedral was demolished of which today only its sanctuary apse rises above the floor.

      In the southern wing of the transept lies the rosette and the medieval statue of the Virgin Mary brought from the Roman Catholic Church from Tureni (Cluj County). In the south collateral, near the Renaissance stair case with the coat of arms built by the bishop Vardai  Ferenc (1512-1524), there are fragments from the funerary monuments of John Hunyadi (1456), his brother with the same name (1442), his son Lazlo (1458), as well as of the wayvodes Kendi Ferenc and Kendi Antal (1558).

      In the northern wing of the transept one can find the statues of four Hungarian saints (1728) which were placed initially between the two medieval towers on the Baroque pediment of the western balcony. Among the blank trilobite arcades of the northern absis, which is the extension of the northern wing of the transept, one can also find fragments of mural paintings from the Renaissance period, made after 1510.

      In the northern part of the cathedral one can find the oldest testimony of the Renaissance architecture in Transylvania - Laszai Chapel (1512). The most beautiful chapel of the cathedral was realized in 1512 by Laszai Janos (Lazo. Lazoius) archpriest of Tileagd and canon of the cathedral, in order to shelter the altar dedicated to the Christians Souls. The chapel is decorated with bas-reliefs representing the coats of arms, heroes of classical mythology and heroes from the Bible or some of the Hungarian kings. On the interior wall of the chapel is the funerary stone of Laszai Janos buried in St Stefano Rotondo Church which is situated in Rome.
  • loupe

    Regular guided visits

    • The visits are guided only by the static written information in English, Romanian, German and Hungarian language. But in the future, several guiding methods are envisaged for the entire Historical Center of the City.

Object
Roman-Catholic Cathedral Saint Michael
Mihai Viteazu Str. 21
510010 Alba Iulia
Romania

Organization:
Roman-Catholic Archiepiscopate Alba Iulia
Mihai Viteazu Str. 21
510010 Alba Iulia
Romania
Ph. +40-258-811.689
E-mail

Tourist Information:
Roman-Catholic Archiepiscopate Alba Iulia
Mihai Viteazu Str. 21
510010 Alba Iulia
Romania
Ph. +40-258-811.689
E-mail
Website


Highlight Cathedrals

Opening Hours:

 No specific opening hours.


Roman-Catholic Cathedral Saint Michael

Roman-Catholic Cathedral Saint Michael