English Deutsch Italiano
Schrift verkleinern Schriftgröße ändern Schrift vergrößern

Portal Map

Please select

Romanesque heritage

Search for Romanesque sites in your selected region.

Events

Search for events in your selected region.

art readings
exhibitions Others
from: to:

News / Portal / POI
print this page


We have found 44 results.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Church of the Saviour of Fervença - Celorico de Basto


Located on one of the slopes of the valley of the Esporão brook, the Church of the Saviour of Fervença was, in the 13th century, the centre of an inheritance conflict between a certain clergyman and Gil Vasques, a nobleman from Fervença, in which the former claimed the possession of the Church. This Church's extensive heritage largely contributed to this conflict.

This and other conflicts were only solved by regal intervention, despite the weak presence of the crown - except for some royal fields, farmhouses, windrows and leases, the remaining assets were held by local or regional lords.


Churches

More »

Church of the Saviour of Ribas - Celorico de Basto


The toponym Ribas derives from the uneven sloping ground, into which the parish is integrated. The Church of the Saviour itself is a synonym of this spatiality, as it is built on a halfway up a hillside overlooking the river Veade, a tributary of the Tâmega.

According to tradition, the origins of this space date back to the 12th century when a small monastery was founded by the Canons Regular of Saint Augustine in this place. Although the “Inquirições” [administrative enquiries] of 1220 and 1258 make no reference to the existence of this monastery, the truth is that tradition and certain chronicles have associated the foundation of the Church of Ribas with certain legends: D. João Peculiar, the archbishop of Braga, would have taken responsibility for the monastery's foundation and protection following a visit to the region, and after learning about the many miracles worked by a picture of the Saviour of the World located in this place, inside a hermitage.


Churches

More »

Church of Saint Mary of Veade - Celorico de Basto


The Church of Saint Mary of Veade retains significant portions of Romanesque architecture that immediately suggest us the existence of a large ostentatious building during this period. However, despite their regional character, these elements still constitute one of the best works by our Romanesque artisans.

The origin of this Church lies probably on a small hermitage, founded on private property, which in the 13th century associated itself to the Guedeões lineage. The inscription that, engraved on a granite ashlar, was inlaid on the north side wall of the Church's nave, close to the portal, on its left side, may well be a proof of this circumstance: SUB : Era : Mª : Cª2 : X’ª : VIIª / OBIIT : FAMULA : DEI / MIONA : DOLDIA : GOMEZ. 


Churches

More »

Church of Saint John the Baptist of Gatão - Amarante


The parish of Gatão seems to have been part, in the Middle Ages, the vast Terra de Sousa, insofar the Catalogue of the Churches of 1320 includes it, taxing this Church in 80 Portuguese libras - frankly a tiny amount when compared with the charges on neighbouring Telões (1500 Portuguese libras) or Feixo de Baixo (400 Portuguese libras).

In the subsequent reorganization that affected this region, Gatão came to be part of the wide area of the county of Celorico de Basto.


Churches

More »

Church of Saint Andrew of Telões - Amarante


Located on a hill overlooking the valley, the Church of Telões seems to confirm its origin in the Royal Estate legend says was taken from the grandson of the Moorish king in the skirmishes of the Reconquest.

The anonymous narrator further tells that, being the pious nobleman Rodrigo Froiaz one of the masters of the said estate, he commissioned the building of a monastery in that same place, where he put as first abbot D. Gusmão Pais, all in 887.


Churches

More »

Monastery of the Saviour of Freixo de Baixo - Amarante


The origin of the Monastery of Freixo de Baixo is prior to 1120 and entangles itself in the usual family patronages, as the author of the Portuguese Chorography highlights in 1706: "founded by year 1110 by Dona Gotinha Godins, wife of Don Egas Hermigis, the Brave, in-laws Don Egas Gozendes, who lived in the period of king Dom Afonso, the Sixth."

Less certain are the chroniclers of the Canons Regular of Saint Augustine, including the father Nicolau de Santa Maria (? -1675) who, to explain the origin of the Monasteries of Mancelos and Freixo de Baixo, cites only the bull of Calixtus II (p. 1119-1124) and adds that "we do not possess any more information". 


Monasteries

More »
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »