The inscription at the base of the cruise constructed at the entrance of the Bridge, on the left bank, and referring to the year 1630, sends its (re)construction back to the 17th century.
Consequently, and despite being commonly known as Romanesque, this crossing can only be considered the heir of the medieval models by which builders could have been inspired.
Given the privileged position of the Bridge within the peninsular road context, connecting the west coast to the interior of the peninsula, several reasons may have contributed to its construction, making it a relevant work within the local, regional and even national context.
The fact Amarante was, in the Modern Age, the epicentre of many routes leading to regional, national or even international spiritual centres – as the cult of Saint Gonzalo, of the Holy Little Lady of Basto, the Lady of Lapa or in connection with the ways of Saint James of Compostela – and, hence, the need to provide safe and fast access to pilgrims and devotees would have been one of the reasons underlying the construction of the Bridge of Fundo de Rua.
At the same time, in 1630, Filipe III was king of Portugal and one of the monarchs who favoured the building of bridges and roads the most, particularly in times of conflict, but also eager of communications and trade.
1258 – The patronage of the Church of Saint Mary of Aboadela was property of the Monastery of Pombeiro;
14th century – Ovelha do Marão (term which included the parishes of Aboadela and Canadelo) was a medieval benefactoria;
1550 – On the death of D. Jorge de Lencastre, the medieval benefactoria becomes the property of the Crown, by order of King D. João III;
1630 – Construction date of the cruise at the east entrance of the Bridge;
17th century – Construction period of the Bridge of Fundo de Rua;
18th century – The term of Ovelha do Marão is transferred to the jurisdiction of the master grantees and barons of Mateus;
2010 – Integration of the Bridge of Fundo de Rua in the Route of the Romanesque.
Architecture and Furniture
Stony bridge, Romanesque-inspired, sustained by four round arches with unequal dimensions, over which runs a platform slightly raised above the higher arch.
The pillars are protected by three sharp cut-waters upstream and by the buttresses downstream.
Leaning against the railing on the right side, at the entrance to the Bridge, on the left bank, we find a 17th century cruise.
Regular guided visits
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /homepages/3/d4295009228/htdocs/transromanica_2019/wp-content/themes/transromanica/functions.php on line 1444
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /homepages/3/d4295009228/htdocs/transromanica_2019/wp-content/themes/transromanica/functions.php on line 1468
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /homepages/3/d4295009228/htdocs/transromanica_2019/wp-content/themes/transromanica/functions.php on line 1491