Located in the parish of Panchorra – in the southwest limit of the municipality of Resende, in the very heart of the Montemuro mountain range plateau and over the river Cabrum -, the Bridge of Panchorra was, for decades, considered as a Roman bridge. The probable existence of a Roman route which passed nearby possibly contributed to this association.
Located in a village of which the first historical references date back to 1258 and where there are other masonry bridges that owe their construction to the need for communication and trade between neighbouring villages, this Bridge should be understood, in spatial terms, within a more limited context: to provide safe access to the village’s agricultural properties that extend themselves beyond the course of the river Cabrum.
1258 – First reference to Panchorra;
1288 – Reference to the existence of three farmhouses in Panchorra;
1513 – The charter of Terra de Aregos already refers all taxes paid to the crown;
1527 – Panchorra had between 71 and 77 inhabitants;
Before the 17th century – Construction of the Bridge of Panchorra;
1758 – Of all the clerics from the parishes of the Cabrum valley, only the one of Gralheira makes any reference to the (masonry) bridge of Gralheira;
2010 – Integration of the Bridge of Panchorra in the Route of the Romanesque.
Architecture and Furniture
The Bridge of Panchorra, with a double round arch, contradicts the common formula of trestle-shaped medieval bridges built in places where valleys were rather narrow.
In fact, the choice of its location shows more concern with the immediate access to the municipality’s limit than with the building of a solid and durable structure, despite its size, which resulted from the use of a granite outcrop from the river bed that allowed extending the structure with the addition of a minor arch aimed towards the right bank.
This asymmetry, together with the poor quality of the carving of stone that was used and the absence of cut-waters, reveals a vernacular language, in other words, the use of materials and resources from the region where the Bridge was built. Therefore, we are most certainly facing a work that was built by municipal commission.
Regular guided visits