Two inscriptions n the Church of Saint Vincent of Sousa, from the Romanesque period, allow knowing its story. The commemorative inscription of the Church’s Dedication is engraved in the external face of the nave’s wall, to the right of the North lateral portal of the temple, and states that the Church was consecrated in August 14th 1214.
As the inscription guarantees, the Dedication ceremony was presided by the Archbishop of Braga, D. Estêvão Soares da Silva, who occupied the position between 1212 and 1228. The Dedication was promoted by the Church prelate, D. Fernando Raimundo. August 31st 1214 befell on a Sunday, as was recommended by the canon to conduct this type of ceremony.
The second inscription is older, from 1162, corresponding to a mortuary memorial or commemorating the construction of an arcosolium. Should it in fact a funerary inscription, it is the earliest specimen ever recorded.