Tower of Vilar – Lousada

The Tower of Vilar, built between the second half of the 13th century and the beginning of the 14th century, shows the feudal power over the territory, bearing witness to the existence of the domus fortis, a fortified manor house in the Tâmega and Sousa.

The monument is difficult to date, because it features structural solutions of the Romanesque style. According to 1258’s “Inquirições” [administrative enquiries] , Sancte Marie of Vilar was an “Honra” [territory] of D. Gil Martins and his descendants, of the Ribavizela lineage.

King D. Fernando donated Vilar do Torno, Unhão and Meinedo to Aires Gomes da Silva, in 1367, and the possession of the Tower remained in the same family throughout the 15th century.


Architecture and Furniture

Regular guided visits

Opening times


Tower of Vilar
Lugar da Torre, Vilar do Torno e Alentém