The Church of the Monastery of Saint Peter of Ferreira is one of the most elaborate monuments of the Portuguese Romanesque.
The origins of this monastery are still surrounded in mystery, although it is prior to 1182, when the Church is explicitly referred and the current temple began to be built.
However, its origins are much older, presumably from the 10th century, as stated in the reference made to it in the will of Mumadona Dias, from 959.
Nothing remains from this period in the temple’s construction, since the oldest elements are related to the original Romanesque church, built between the late 11th and early 12th century.
In the 13th century, between 1258 and 1293, the Monastery is integrated in the Order of the Clerics Regular, extinct in the 15th century, when it no longer belonged to the clergy and was transferred with the attached lands and property to the Chamber of the Bishop of Porto.