Idyllically located in the hilly countryside of the Province of Asti at the foot of Monferrato St. Maria in Vezzolano fascinates by the altering layers of sandstone and bricks. The complex seen today is composed of a church, a cloister and a chapel. Those three buildings remain from the abbey founded by Charlemagne.
Although the legend traces its foundation back to Charlemagne, the mentioning of Ecclesia of Santa Maria di Vezzolano dates back to a document dated from 1095. It is the investiture of Teodulo and Egidio, with the commitment to stick to some shared precepts and to live according to the official rule, probably that of Saint Augustine, later attested in Vezzolano by papal bulls of 1176 and 1182.
ARCHITECTURE AND FURNITURE
The construction of the church must have been interrupted several times and was affected by Romanesque and Gothic style. The façade is decorated with sculptures that are geared to Lombard and Burgundy elements. However, for the layered facade, there are comparable examples in Liguria and Tuscany. The choir screen inside the church, which is decorated with 35 figures is one of the highlights of the building. The red and white layers also dominate the interior design; the pointed arches give an impression of the model in the Gothic style. However, the windows in the choir represent the typical Romanesque style.
From 18th March until 17th November 2020)
Tuesday – Sunday and holidays from 10.00 – 18.00
Abbey of Vezzolano
Location Vezzolano, 35
14022 Albugnano (AT)
Telephone information: +39 333 1365812 – InCollina Tourism in the Heart of Piedmont
Director: Valentina Barberis
Tel. +39 11 5641743
Information for groups and reservation: InCollina Tourism in the Heart of Piedmont
Phone: +39 333 1365812 mail: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
No guided tours available.
TOURIST INFORMATION OFFICE
Tourist Information Office:
Piazza Dante 54
14022 Castelnuovo Don Bosco
Phone: +39 333 1365812