Laying in the heart of Transylvania, guarded to the east by the clear waters of the Mures river, and to the west by high hills, surrounded by the fast-flowing waters of the Ampoi river to the north and the fertile fields to the south, Alba Iulia is always ready to welcome its guests and share with them the millenniums and thousands of legends.
Alba Iulia: Roman-Catholic Cathedral Saint Michael
The cathedral Saint Michael is the oldest, and with 81 meters length also the longest cathedral in Romania. The construction of the Roman-Catholic Cathedral started towards the end of the 11th Century when the transepts and the first part of the sanctuary of the present cathedral were built in the Romanesque style. During the Mongol invasion of 1241 the church was partially destroyed. In the middle of the 13th century the cathedral was rebuilt on the old foundation in the transitory style between Romanesque and Gothic, one of the most impressive early Renaissance interiors in Transylvania. Inside the cathedral, one can find the sarcophagus of John Hunyadi , beside the ones of his brother, Johannes Miles, his elder son, Ladislas, and those of Queen Isabella and her son, John Sigismund. The site is registered in the National Archaeological Repertory of Romania.