Category: Locations

Monastery of Saint Mary of Pombeiro – Felgueiras

A visit to the Monastery of Saint Mary of Pombeiro should start in a place overlooking the valley in order to fully appreciate the location of one of the most important Benedictine monasteries of the region between the Douro and Minho Rivers regarding the richness of the building program.

The choice of its location still indicates how the monastic communities sought to build in the best farming lands, in plain areas, abundant in water.

Read More

Monastery of Saint Peter of Ferreira – Paços de Ferreira

The Church of the Monastery of Saint Peter of Ferreira is one of the most elaborate monuments of the Portuguese Romanesque.

The origins of this monastery are still surrounded in mystery, although it is prior to 1182, when the Church is explicitly referred and the current temple began to be built. However, its origins are much older, presumably from the 10th century, as stated in the reference made to it in the will of Mumadona Dias, from 959.

Read More

Monastery of the Saviour of Paço de Sousa – Penafiel

The foundation of this monastic community dates back to the 10th century and is considered the origin of this Benditine Monastery. The will of abbot Randulfo, in 994, who escaped from a monastery to the south, during the incursions of Almançor, contains the first references to this Monastery.

The foundation of the Monastery credits Trutesendo Galindes and his wife Anímia, who followed the peninsular monastic habits and adopted the Rule of Saint Benedict, during the abbacy of Sisnando, between 1085 and 1087.

Read More

Collegiate Church of St. Servatius – Quedlinburg

The former collegiate church St. Servatii is one of the most famous high Romanesque buildings in Germany. In the 10th century Quedlinburg became one of the most important palatinate under the rule of King Heinrich I. After Henry‘s death his widow Mathilde founded a monastery for women on the Schlossberg (castle`s mount).

Read More

Basilica of St. Michael Mayor – Pavia

The Basilica of St. Michael Mayor is a masterpiece of the Romanesque architecture in Lombardy. It has a majestic nave and two aisles, surmounted by the lantern. The façade is richly decorated with sculptures, bas reliefs and figures of animals, plant volute cornices and green shoots. The present church was built on the site of a previous Lombard church and was the coronation place. Infact Frederich Barbarossa was crowned here in 1155.

Read More

Saint Mary’s Abbey Vezzolano – Albugnano

The Abbey of Santa Maria di Vezzolano (St Mary of Vezzolano) is one of Piedmont’s best preserved ancient monuments. It stands at the bottom of one of the Monferrato region’s highest hills at the end of a minor road, which, as it passes alongside the Abbey, allows the visitor to gain ever more fascinating glimpses of the complex’s tower and main building before he or she finally arrives at its lovely facade.

Read More

Monastery of the Saviour of Travanca – Amarante

Tradition says that Garcia Moniz, son of Moninho Viegas, the Gasco, was the founder of the Monastery of the Saviour of Travanca in the second half of the 11th century.

Throughout the Middle Ages, Travanca played a relevant part in the economic, political and religious control of the region, either by donations or the zealous administration of its assets.

Read More

Castle of Arnoia – Celorico de Basto

The oldest known documented reference regarding the Castle of Arnoia dates back to 1064, alluding to the Castellum Celorici et oppido ibi.

This Castle falls within the military architecture of the Romanesque period, featuring elements that contribute to its insertion into this style: the keep; the existence of a single door (the multiplication of openings made the Castle’s defence more vulnerable), the underground cistern in the walled courtyard (with the aim of preserving rainwater in case of an eventual siege warfare) and, finally, the broad chemin de ronde, which defines a triangular plan

Read More